What We Do
My Faulty Gene is a (501)(c)(3) nonprofit organization which provides information and assistance to individuals whose family medical history suggests genetic testing might be helpful in identifying an increased risk of disease due to a genetic mutation. Some of the ways we help:
- By bringing awareness to and educating the general public about the importance of genetic counseling and genetic testing. We do this
- through social media;
- through direct campaigns;
- by reaching out to underserved groups where there are known disparities in healthcare resulting in individuals being less likely to know about genetic counseling and genetic testing; and
- through outreach efforts targeting non-metropolitan areas where individuals may be less likely to have access to some diagnostic and preventative services.
- By helping ensure that everyone who needs genetic testing due to a suspected inherited gene mutation has access to it.
- By assisting with insurance appeals if genetic counseling and genetic testing coverage is denied by the individual’s health insurance provider.
- By helping find a genetic testing company that offers financial assistance in diagnostic genetic testing if an individual does not have health insurance and cannot afford to pay out-of-pocket.
- By providing financial assistance for genetic counseling and diagnostic genetic testing as funds are available.